In Florence (on Friday), we did a whirlwind tour of churches and museums. In the morning (after recovering from our run), we visited the Academy Gallery and saw Michelangelo's original statue of David (see bootleg photo). It was much, much larger than I expected it to be and absolutely stunning.
After the Academy, we toured the Cathedral (Duomo) from altar to crypt. We even climbed the 828 steps (round trip) to the top of the bell tower and enjoyed a panoramic view of the city.
In the afternoon, we toured the Uffizi Museum and saw art from 3 ninja turtles (Michelangelo, Raphael and Leonardo). I expected to see Donatello too, but he was not to be found (at least, not at the Uffizi).
From a vantage point near the Ponte Vecchio, we watched a spectacular sunset along the Arno River. TJ took about 817 pictures of the sunset alone. I guess-timate he has taken 2617 photos this week (and we still have 11 days to go).
Saturday morning was busy with laundry, packing, and a quick tour of another beautiful church. After checking out, we headed to the station to catch a train to Rome. This time we got lucky and only had to wait about 10 minutes.
After arriving in Rome and struggling to figure out how to get to our hotel, I have lost all desire to be on the Amazing Race. We finally got on the right local bus but missed our stop. Thanks to some local guys on the bus, we got off at the next stop and only had to backtrack a few blocks. TJ seems to thrive on the “adventure” of being lost. I just get stressed out. Bust out the gelato, though, and I’m back in action!
Tomorrow promises to be a busy day – after a run along the Tevere River, we plan to hit the Coliseum and the Forum and everything in between. Now all we need is a game plan! Let the research begin!
Ciao!

No comments:
Post a Comment