Friday, September 2, 2011

5K Friday – Mykonos Edition

 

Believe it or not, we (and I’m not using the royal “we,” TJ actually ran, too) hauled our butts out of bed and went for the mandatory 5K Friday run this morning. It was a challenging run for me as there were lots of hills to traverse, but we managed to get our miles in.

Thursday was spent very leisurely – we slept in till 9 am (gasp!) then headed to another beautiful beach. The one we choose was located on the south side of the island and was very nice (not Caribbean nice, but nice). I was blown away by all the yachts (and I mean YACHTS) anchored in the bay. They were HUGE! I could picture Paris Hilton or Kim What’sHerName dancing on the decks.

We rented our umbrella hut, TJ blew up our newly purchased rafts (both bright pink) and we spent some time lounging in the crystal-clear but COLD water. The only negative thing about the beach were the sand vendors hawking their knock-off Rolex watches, Gucci bags and Ray-Ban sunglasses.

We got a little SPA (spontaneous physical activity) time in when I fell off my raft while trying to flip over and the darn thing blew halfway across the bay! I tried to swim after it, but my not-that-waterproof camera hampered my efforts (that’s my excuse, anyway), so TJ had to swim after it on his raft. He successfully recovered my raft and exhausted from the exercise, we returned to our umbrella and comfy lounge chairs to rest.

As for my camera, it apparently can survive the Caribbean Sea, but the Mediterranean Sea did it in. At first, the LCD screen wouldn’t work but it would still take photos. Later in the evening, everything stopped working. Guess I’ll be shopping for a new camera.

After spending a few hours at the beach, we packed up and headed back to Mykonos town. Since the town faces west, it’s the perfect spot to watch the sun set. We cleaned up, grabbed our cameras (mine was still working at this point) and walked downtown to find the perfect vantage spot. Here, there, everywhere we looked was another beautiful scene.

After watching the sun set (and enjoying a foo-foo drink), we wandered around until we found Niko’s Taverna, a local spot renowned for seafood. For a starter, I ordered the Greek salad (when in Greece, right??). The Greek salad in Greece is a bowl of tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and kalamata olives, with a huge chunk of feta cheese on top. I had no idea what to do with it. I ended up adding some olive oil and cutting up the feta and mixing it together. It was light and fresh and yummy – and probably the first vegetables I’ve had since being on vacation (not counting the raw carrot I picked up at the market on the way to the beach).

For dinner, TJ had the red mullet (served with head and tail, yuck) and I ordered the daily special, which was described as oven-baked with lamb, vegetables and feta cheese. I was surprised when my dish came out and there was a bone sticking out. I pictured cubes of lamb but it was an entire bone-in leg/arm of lamb! I felt like I was at the state fair.

That pretty much describes day 2 of the “vacation from the vacation.” I fully expect day 3 to be more of the same, so I probably won’t post again before Santorini. TTFN!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment